Cayman Brac Island History
Christopher Columbus sighted Cayman Brac in 1503 when his ship was blown off course during a trip between Hispaniola and Panama. During the heyday of piracy, pirates would use Cayman Brac as a haven and a place to replenish their supplies as there are a number of fresh water wells on the island and had many sources of food included in the local flora and fauna.
The Bluff” is a large central limestone outcrop that rises steadily along the length of the island up to 140 feet above sea level at the eastern end. The island is named after this prominent feature, as “brac” is a Gaelic name for a bluff.
Today, Cayman Brac has a population of about 1,600 friendly “brackers” who welcome guests from all over the world.