Thursday, March 18
Most guests have already left our resorts and are headed home or have arrived. The final guest will be departing from Cayman Brac Beach Resort tomorrow. Our staff has been amazing helping through this situation and we can’t wait until it has passed, they all return, and we can reopen for diving visitors. Our guests have also been wonderful in understanding and we wish them all safety and health until we see them again.
Monday, March 16
Statement from Michael D. Tibbetts, Chairman of the Board, and Bradley Barnett, President
Given the extraordinary spread of COVID-19 across the planet, today (Monday, March 16), the Cayman Islands government announced that all international flights to and from the Islands will be suspended on Sunday, March 22, for 3 weeks, although they have left open options to extend as the conditions in the future may warrant. As a result, we have no other option than to temporarily close our resorts, Little Cayman Beach Resort, Cayman Brac Beach Resort and Cobalt Coast Resort, beginning on Thursday, March 19, 2020. We will be working with our current guests to facilitate their evacuation prior to the Sunday deadline and to allow our team members to make their departure plans as needed.
We commend the Cayman Islands government on their aggressive steps to prevent the spread of the COVID-19 virus. We are hopeful that their early, aggressive action will shorten the shutdown period and allow us to get back to providing you, our guests, with the best dive hospitality in the Caribbean.
Our reservations office Reef Fantaseas, located in Saint Petersburg, Florida, is in the process of contacting all guests and group travel partners with upcoming reservations during the impacted period. We are waiving the change fees and are offering all guests the opportunity to rebook their vacation without penalty at the same guaranteed rate for any available date up two years from their original travel date. Guests will not be charged any additional amounts for changing their reservations to a future period.
For those guests with reservations outside of the impacted period, please know that we are closely monitoring the situation in the United States and in the Cayman Islands. We will provide ongoing updates as they are available in the weeks ahead. If your travel plans are impacted by future closures, please know that we will protect your reservation by waiving change fees and allowing you to select alternate travel dates in any available periods for up to two years from your original travel date as well.
This remains a dynamic and highly fluid situation that continues to deeply impact families across the globe. Our priority throughout this crisis remains the safety of our guests and team members and we will take whatever steps are required to accomplish this goal. At the same time, we are committed to welcoming guests as soon as the Caymans reopen to international flights and we are given the “all clear” from Government officials.
As this situation continues to develop, we will provide you with further updates and policy changes based upon the recommendations of governmental agencies, health organizations and other experts. If you have further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to call our US reservations office at 800-327-3835.
Our team looks forward to welcoming you to our beautiful islands where you can once again enjoy the underwater wonders that have made the Cayman Islands a diver’s paradise.